Most of the time, I avoid these posts like the plague, but since I’ve been a little, ehm… short on inspiration lately, it’s a good reason to crank my weekly post out. Thanks to Amy over at Hamlet’s Mistress for tagging me. 🙂
1. Spelling out the word “eleven” always makes me think of the word “elven,” which makes me want to watch “Lord of the Rings,” STAT. And think about how much dreamier Orlando Bloom was with his flowing golden locks. Amirite?
2. Operation “New Job” is taking longer than hoped/expected. I’ve had some interviews though, so that’s a start… but it’s almost harder not to take it personally once people have met you and still go “eh. NEXT.”
3. I’m currently in a smutty romance reading spree… I finally decided to try a few books by Stephanie Laurens (after my Paranormal February) and managed to get sucked into her Cynster stories. Of which there are 18. Part of me really wants to embark on reading all of them, remembering how much I adored Julia Quinn’s “Bridgerton” novels, but I know that there are a lot of good reads in the bookshelf that I should get through first.
4. I don’t know if I’m interesting enough currently to come up with eleven random things. Crap.
5. I definitely fell of the “wagon” over the holidays and have gained back an embarrassing amount of my pre-wedding weight. Each week, I tell myself I’m going to crack down again, but I just. love. food. Even though the program that I followed (rhymes with “Schmate Schmatchers”) taught me a lot about cooking better, enjoying what I eat more and portion sizes, it also taught me to enjoy the crappy food choices I make even more. Lately, there have been a lot of those.
6. Also, the winter sucks for being active. I should recognize in myself that after a full day of working, if it’s dark and cold I’m going to lack the motivation to get out there and get moving. And should join a gym, at least for those winter months. I hate the way I feel when I’m not staying active.
7. PS- Easter candy is back in stores. Meaning that those evil little Cadbury eggs taunt me with their sugary siren song every time I go to the store. Oddly, after a year of better portions, I’m more satisfied by getting the small individual serving bags and no longer feel cheated by not hoovering a large bag over a couple of days. If a large bag does make its way home from the store? It’s immediately doled out into snack bags.
8. I’m going to stop talking about food now. Because that is boring.
9. I never blogged about the awesome Christmas present I surprised Army Boy with! The stars managed to line up with some Groupon deals right before the holidays and I was able to book a long weekend for our 6-month anniversary. We’re going to Oheka Castle on Long Island, and Das Boot will not be coming with us.
10. The above is a big deal because we’re insanely broke right now and getting ready to replace our house’s central air unit. And Wesley has been sick multiple times this winter (including today, which is why I’m working at home and keeping an eye on him). Vet bills are KILLER. Oh, and remember our adventure in Baltimore in November? Yeah, the hits have just kept coming since then.
11. I really really really really wanted to go to BlogHer this year with Amy to hang out with Aunt Becky and meet some of the amazing women that I’ve been reading for the last two years. I wanted to spend the weekend in the city, get inspired and dance my ass off at SparkleCorn (MAMAPOP, FTW!), especially considering it’s in NYC, which is such a manageable trip from this neck of the woods. See also: Boo boo boo, listen to mah first world problems.
Questions From Amy:
1 If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be and why?
I would definitely choose Henry VIII. I’m totally fascinated by his story and his 6 wives, and would love to see what made him so compelling. (It wasn’t JUST that he was king, right?
2. You have a room in your house full of something you don’t want anyone to see. What’s in the room?
Ooo… this is a good, and thought-provoking one during which I could totally come up with something insightful about the lessons I learned in my past…. For now I’d have to go with dust bunnies.
3. What is your most ridiculous fear?
I’d have to go with “the dark.” I just hate waking up in the night and not being able to see what’s in the house. We have a total of three nightlights in our tiny one-story home… and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
4. What’s your go-to happy song?
“The Authority Song” by Jimmy Eat World. It never failed to inspire a dorm room dance party in college, and still takes me right back to that feeling every time I hear it. “Fuck You” by Lily Allen is a very close second.
5. What’s been your best day so far?
I think the day of our pony trek in Ireland was my best so far. There have been some amazing days in my life, but none are surrounded by a glow quite like that one. It was carefree, romantic, breathtaking and exhilarating all in one… followed by the blissful reaction of a hot tub, tea and a hearty meal.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. (Can I cheat like that?) I can watch them over and over and always take something new out of them, and I think that Peter Jackson did a marvelous job at translating the world that Tolkein created
7. What are you reading right now? (Because you should always be reading something)
“In Pursuit of Eliza Cynster” by Stephanie Laurens. I’m so psyched because I just re-joined BooksFree, and I’ll have lots of ready reading material for the forseeable future (without driving Army Boy crazy with the weekly Amazon boxes!)
8. What made you start blogging?
I started blogging while I was using one of the big online dating sites. I figured that it would certainly be an interesting experience to write about, to say the least. Then I had to ruin it all and start dating Army Boy. 😉
Any celebrity comparison that I get is usually to Anne Hathaway. I’d have to say her, logically. I have a soft spot for Michelle Williams, though- I think she does phenomenal work and she’d probably score an Oscar nomination.
10. What’s your favorite thing to do during your favorite season?
Absolutely everything about Christmas! Chopping down our tree, snuggling by the fire and drinking spiked hot chocolate… It’s a great time of year.
11. What is your secret guilty pleasure?
Watching Gossip Girl on Netflix after Army Boy is asleep. I wish I could quit, but between the clothes and the snarky one-liners, I’m not quite ready to go to rehab just yet.
11. What is the soundtrack of your year so far?