Some time during my pseudo-blogtirement, I celebrated my 30th birthday. Well, I use the term “celebrate” lightly, because the day was mostly spent prepping for a bridal shower the next day and staying out of the home that we were trying to sell. Also I had my second broken foot in three years. So there’s that.
(Note to self: add STOP BREAKING BODY PARTS to Life List.)
Anyway, something about hitting that milestone birthday got me thinking about the many, many things that I’d like to experience in the wild and wonderful time that’s ahead of me. It might have been turning 30, an age which was associated with being “over the hill” by the generation before me. It might have been the feeling that Army Boy and I only have so much longer before we need to really make a decision about having children and all the changes that come with that enormous step. Or it might have been the feeling that so far I’ve lived a pretty “safe” life, and need to push myself a little more to do things that scare me or seem out of reach for one reason or another.
Either way, I’d find myself making a mental list during time that I was alone and during the quiet hours of the night when I was supposed to be attempting to fall asleep.
I know, I know… the “Life List” is like, so five years ago in blogland. But honestly, five years ago I had just moved into our first house and was thinking about getting engaged and planning a wedding. Those BIG! SHINY! THINGS! were right in front of me, and I was incredibly focused on building a home and a family.
ANYWAY…. These are some of the things that I’ve been dreaming up (and doing) since then. And I tried REALLY hard not to make the entire thing travel-related. Because obvs.
- Get a Tattoo
Add a “different” color to my hair(June 2014)
- Learn to Paddleboard
- Go wine-tasting in California
- Visit 100 bookshops (at least)
- See the Northern Lights
- Appear in a Book*
- Swim with Dolphins
- See and swim with Whale Sharks
- See an Opera at The Met
- Visit 20 whiskey distilleries
Taste Midleton Very Rare Whisky(March 2015)
- Have afternoon tea at The Ritz and The Plaza
- Drink on Bourbon Street
- Buy a ridiculously impractical and expensive pair of heels
Learn how to apply a perfect red lip(September 2014)
- Ski in 10 different states/countries
- Attend a Black Tie New Year’s Eve party
- Go Back to Ireland
- Go Back to Scotland
- Spend at least a week in England (That is a life list all its own…)
- See Prince William and Princess Kate in person
- Travel to:
- Quebec City
- Lake Louise
- The Caribbean
- Go to Universal Studios Florida/ the London Harry Potter Studio Tour
- Ride the London Underground
- Renew our wedding vows in Vegas
- Learn to make sushi
- Visit Yosemite National Park
- Go “Glamping” (Sorry Army Boy, that’s as close to camping as I’ll get)
- Travel the Trans-Canadian Railroad
Like I said, this is just a start to the list…. I expect it to constantly evolve and change. Is there anything that I’m missing? Have you started a life list of your own?
*Coming sooner than you would think!